Monday, July 22, 2013

let the games begin.

after being told that even my skin is being effected by my RA, I've been thinking a lot about the medications I'm on, their pros, their cons, and what my future holds as far as treatment goes.  at the same time, my sister started experiencing inflammation, stiffness, and pain in her joints.  she hasn't been diagnosed with anything, but when your body starts betraying you, the first thing on your mind is how to make it stop.  and so, my sister and I have started thinking about the paleo diet.  yikes!  it's definitely not the most extreme diet out there, but it does involve cutting out things that I really enjoy (bread!).

I've never been very good at limiting myself or putting restrictions on myself.  except for the dedication I put into training for a 25k race a year ago, I've really just let myself go with the flow as far as diet and exercise goes.  everything in moderation; some days better than others.  but then RA happened and I started gaining weight, looking poofy, struggling to get in and out of a car, not lasting more than 20 minutes on the elliptical..... and I've come to the realization that this body of mine is going to start taking some work.  no more going with the flow, but instead I need to be proactive, thinking about what I put in my body, and getting committed to managing this disease without medication.

oh yeah, did I mention I'd like to go med free?  a big goal, but one that is obtainable with a lot of hard work.  can I do it?  let the games begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment